PROOF Research is seeking a qualified Weapons Development Engineer for their Engineering and Product Development Department.
Plans, organizes, directs and executes product development activities on the various components of the firearms systems to meet company objectives for design, new product development
1. BS in Engineering and a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in firearms/firearms component product development preferred. Other equivalent education and relevant experience in a product development environment will be considered.
2. Firearms industry experience required, including a fundamental understanding of the engineering principles associated with internal and external ballistics. Other relevant experience in a research environment will be considered.
3. Strong understanding of customer requirements and market dynamics in the firearms industry.
4. Understands military standard requirements and test protocols.
5. Working knowledge of computer aided design and metal working preferred.
6. Three years’ experience as a project manager with a proven ability to creatively drive projects to completion within time and budget constraints.
7. Proven ability to lead a small team as a subject matter contributor and discussion facilitator, not as a task scheduler.
8. Ability to analyze and present technical information and respond to questions from groups of managers and/or clients.
9. Ability to apply and explain mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
10. Demonstrated ability to solve practical problems where limited or no standardization exists.
11. Proven ability to identify need for and drive creation of technical and business processes throughout the organization.
12. Strong business sense in determining strategies for product lines, weighing business opportunities, and maintaining customer relationships.
13. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with customers and staff of PROOF.
1. Leads key projects, processes and product development activities.
2. Develops and executes test plans for developmental and/or production firearms, and provides final reports.
3. Identifies process gaps and drives creation of new processes.
4. Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring projects such as preparation of records of expenditures, research findings, and progress reporting.
5. Selects correct design concepts and fundamental technology used for new products or improvement for existing ones.
6. Works with Sales and Marketing team to identify and pursue market opportunities and provide technical information for creation of sales and marketing materials.
7. Works with the Operations team to review and monitor quality of new product development.
8. Works with the Quality team to define problem areas and implement product improvements based on customer repair/rejection concerns
9. Coordinates as required with internal groups including manufacturing engineering, purchasing, quality control, sales, production, and accounting personnel.
10. Keeps supervisor advised of work status, workload, problems, and progress as related to work assignments
11. Drives product development/improvement of both core products and accessories (technical advisor during product roadmap strategy and manages the management).
12. Performs hands-on work on barrels, firearms, and accessories, including assembly/disassembly, inspection, measurement, and repair/modification
13. Analyzes test data and reports to determine if designs meet functional and performance specifications.
14. Determines conditions under which tests are to be conducted and sequences and phases of test operations.
15. Directs and exercises control over operational, functional, and performance phases of tests.
16. Confers with scientific, engineering, and technical personnel to resolve testing problems such as product or system malfunctions, incomplete test data and data interpretation.
17. Analyzes and interprets test data and prepares technical reports for use by engineering and management personnel.
18. Develops or uses computer software and hardware to conduct tests on products and systems.
19. Coordinates with the VP of Engineering to evaluate, analyze, and make recommendations on products, designs, and cost improvements to improve the competitive position of the company.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities, as needed/assigned. This individual has the responsibility & authority to carry out tasks assigned by management.
Generally, the schedule is Monday-Friday during the day; however, certain events may require flexibility to ensure no disruption in services is experienced.
Primarily works indoors in an office/manufacturing plant setting. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and explosives. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in the office setting and moderate in the plant setting.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
To apply for this, and other PROOF Research posituins, visit proofresearch.submittable.com/submit.