TYR Tactical

New DHS Sidearm SIG SAUER’s P320C Currently In FAT

Although the Department of Homeland Security selected the compact variant of the SIG P320 early this year, it was kept quiet.

Initially, there was the matter of a Government Accounting Office protest to wait on. That cleared up fairly quickly, but still the Department has kept mum on the subject despite an announcement via InSight, their internal news system. This screenshot originated on pistol-forum.com.

IMG_4832

Currently, the P320C is in First Article Testing, a process which ensures production models will meet the same government requirements as the prototypes did during the solicitation.

This is the pistol they selected, as seen at AUSA.

DB27FCBE-8231-432D-976F-23616EAF3986

Of the commercial P320 line, the DHS pistol is closest to the closest to the X Carry. Additionally, each fielded firearm comes with eight magazines, a cleaning kit, parts to support use out to 10K rounds, HD sights, training, manuals and cable lock, as per the contract.

www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p320

Tags:

19 Responses to “New DHS Sidearm SIG SAUER’s P320C Currently In FAT”

1. Jeff S says:

And I bet CBP (OFO, OAM and BP) will be following along with this one.

So, it’s the X-Carry frame with the normal slide and trigger?

2. WhiskyTango says:

Why do they keep selecting compact pistols? This is ridiculous as a primary weapon for most BP Agents that work in open terrain (i.e. the desert.)

• Bonzaipilot says:

Most encounters where a handgun is used by DHS and Border Patrol agents happens at 7.2 yards statistically. I read this in a report a couple of months ago. If I remembered the article or report and provide a link but I can’t at the moment I agree personally I would want a full-size Handgun but this is what statistics show. Also remember they carry AR’s so longer ranges are covered.
      Besides humping weight on your hip around in the desert may also be a factor in their decision

3. Jason G says:

This pistol is NOT for all of DHS. It is for ICE and HSI (Homeland Security Investigations).

Border Parol and CBP will continue to carry the P2000 LEM in .40 for the forseable future.

• Jeff S says:

New 9mm for CBP is on its way by next fiscal year.

• Thor says:

I’ve already seen the memo that announces CBP will receive a new 9mm sidearm.

• ejb3 says:

For CBP, it is a matter of when, not if. Yes, FY19 is mentioned but it may not actually be available to all personnel at that time. we are talking a fair amount of weapons, what 30,000 or so? along with that you need to spend a lot of time training for familiarization of the weapon. Just the logistics of transitioning that many LEO to the new weapon will take quite awhile.

4. Will says:

I was issued a 229. It’s not a bad gun. A little heavy mabye, but it shot fine. I was finally able to switch to a Glock 17, and while I like the trigger, and the lighter weight, it’s really a big gun. I don’t wear a full duty belt anymore, so the 17 really sticks out under a shirt. I had the option of carrying a Glock 19, and I’m starting to wish I went that route. I carry a 26 as a backup, and frankly, I shoot both guns equally well out to 25 yards. I can trace most of my bad shots to me rushing the shot, or not having a good grip. The point is, most modern guns shoot very well. A midsize gun is not perfect, but it’s pretty good in the majority of scenarios you’d encounter. Most guns now allow you to run larger mags anyway, so capacity isn’t the issue it once was.

5. Richard Scalzo says:

The slide is very different from the standard 320. The X has lighting cuts, a heavy barrel and some other minor differences. The day is the same except flat trigger. The grip module allows adding a weight.

It is nowhere near the 229. It is the striker fired 320.

6. Jason says:

Fabulous hand gun, maybe the greatest ever made

7. Mtlee says:

I have a P320 Compact, at 25 yards it is very accurate and deadly.

8. Thor says:

I have a full-size P320, errrrr, yet to fire it. Currently a safe queen!

9. Richard C. Woska says:

I have a P320 Carry, Full Length Slide, FLS, with Tru Glow night sights. Incredible.

10. Duncan says:

I have heard rumors that it will have a cutout for a RDS and a cover plate. ICE may be making a push to be the first FLEA to issue RDS-equipped pistols to their rank and file.