Eagle Industries

AUSA 21 – SIG SPEAR Update

SIG gave us an update on their SPEAR MCX line. All of these firearms were developed for the defense side and will be offered as commercial variants.

The top gun is 20” in 6.5 CM which will be offered as a commercial version with a shorter barrel.

Middle is the NGSW gun in 6.8 x 51. Plans are in the work for a commercial version in .277 SIG FURY.

Bottom is the SIG SPEAR MCX 8” which serves as a heavy version of the Rattler. It features a 8” barrel and will initially be offered in .308, followed by 6.5 CM.

22 Responses to “AUSA 21 – SIG SPEAR Update”

1. James says:

8″ 308! Dang! Wonder where Brittingham is in development with his .338.

2. Prometheus says:

Let’s try and translate this from press release speak to English: SIG fell off the trials train and now it’s doing what True Velocity was doing about a month and a half ago, i.e. try to sell their stuff on the civilian market. If I were to have some money lying around, I would buy Textron stock right now. But what do I know, right? I’m not a financial advisor after all.

3. Seamus says:

Any idea on barrel length of the Middle Rifle? Some reports for the NGSW Carbine say it is a 13in barrel, I wonder if this will be SBR or if pinned and welded muzzle device takes us to >16in.

4. JoshZ says:

I wish SIG had not used a rear charging handle. To me all 3 guns got weird design features that make me scratch my head.

• DangerMouse says:

The AR style charging handle was supposedly a requirement for the original LVAW project. The new Spear has two charging handles, one AR style, and one on the other side.

• Joe says:

The AR charging handle is an optimized design that does not interfere with optics or anything on the handguard and is easily made ambidextrous like a SCAR, G3, or AK style placement might.
      Operating the charging handle, especially on a reliable weapon with last round bolt hold open, is an administrative task.

• RockyMountain9 says:

Then don’t use it! There are two charging handles. It does no harm to have it there.